Skip to content ↓

Broadoak College

Broadoak Mathematics and Computing College A High Performing Specialist School

01934 422000

Computing and iMEDIA

 

twitter logo

You can follow both Computing  and ICT on Twitter please click on these links  @computingbmcc , @BroadoakICT

Our mission statement is to give every student the opportunity to do their personal best, to make sure that every single student matters and gets the correct learning to enable them to achieve their personal best. Our goal is not only to give students the qualifications to achieve their goals for the future but also to equip them for a changing and increasingly competitive world. With this knowledge and experience of the newest operating system as well as the most up to date Microsoft Office programmes, students should leave Broadoak with a current, relevant and up to date knowledge of Computing which would give them a competitive edge when entering higher education and the job market.

Students can often be found at lunch time and after school in many of the Computing suites, completing coursework, doing homework in dedicated homework sessions or generally just using the computers for personal enjoyment. The Computing Faculty at Broadoak Mathematics and Computing College offers something for students from all levels of ability and years.

KS3

In Key Stage 3, the Computing faculty offers a full and varied range of lessons which mixes fundamental ICT skills as well as exciting and relevant computing skills such as computer game development, mobile app development and programming skills, both text based and visual. Computing lessons do not always involve going on the computer as the lesson requires planning and/or theory work to be completed – there are some lessons that students will not log on at all! We regularly use the Broadoak VLE to share resources and activities with students.

The Computing faculty prides itself on being able to engage students of all abilities by using exciting software like Dreamweaver to create websites, Flash for animations and Photoshop to create flyers and posters as well as Scratch and Kodu to create games as well as programming with Flowol, Small Basic, Python and JavaScript. The Faculty also has full set of Raspberry Pi’s which are used in the extra-curricular activities. With technology rapidly progressing, we regularly introduce new software into lessons and take advantage of the vast range of online tools to support learning. The majority of software we use is free to download and therefore can be downloaded at home. We are proud of the fact that we can fully engage everyone and help bring Computing to life.

Computing Science at KS4

Course Outline

The OCR GCSE Computer Science course is designed to boost computing skills essential for the 21st century. Alongside the practical programming element which allows students to create their own software from the ground up, students will gain a wealth of often complex knowledge that will help them understand how computers function. They will learn how to write algorithms and think computationally.  They will understand computer architecture and how internal hardware functions. They will understand the current threats posed to system security, such as malware and cyber-attacks. They will be able to explain the ethical, legal and environmental implications of computer science.

Assessment

After gaining thorough knowledge of how to program throughout year 10, students complete their Controlled Assessment at the beginning of year 11, which accounts for 20% of their overall grade. At the end of year 11, students complete two examinations which are equally weighted, accounting for the remaining 80% of their grade.

ICT at KS4

Course Outline

The Edexcel ICT GCSE course is designed to give students an opportunity to develop a knowledge and understanding of both computing aspects of technology and creative aspects. Students will spend time developing their practical ICT skills through the use of a range of Adobe and Microsoft software in a practical environment. 

Assessment

Students will complete a GCSE which is made up of a controlled assessment and exam. In Year 10 students will complete a controlled assessment and in year 11 they will be learning the theoretical aspects of the course to prepare them for their exam in May. The controlled assessment completed in year 10 makes up 60% of the overall qualification and the exam completed in year 11 will make up the remaining 40% of the qualification.

Units Studied

Unit 1 – Living in a Digital World (Externally Assessed)

Students explore how digital technology impacts on the lives of individuals, organisations and society. They learn about current and emerging digital technologies and the issues raised by their use in a range of contexts. They develop awareness of the risks that are inherent in using ICT and the features of safe, secure and responsible practice.

Unit 2 – Using Digital Tools (Internally Assessed)

This is a practical unit. Students broaden and enhance their ICT skills and capability. They work with a range of digital tools and techniques to produce effective ICT solutions in a range of contexts. They learn to reflect critically on their own and others’ use of ICT and to adopt safe, secure and responsible practice.

Future Pathways and Opportunities

ICT GCSE gives students the range of skills, both technical and creative, they need to either move on to higher education or go straight into employment in the IT and design industries. Students successfully completing an ICT GCSE at Broadoak can progress to a range of courses at college and university such as A Levels, BTEC Nationals and Apprenticeships.

Creative iMedia at KS4

Course Outline

The Cambridge National in Creative iMedia is a practical qualification that is widely recognised as an equivalent of a GCSE by Sixth form colleges, universities and employers. It is designed to give students’ not only a stimulating and practical insight into how different computing software is used in creative industries but also to develop real transferable skills to prepare the students for higher education and the world of work.

Units Studied

Students will have the opportunity to use a number of industry standard software packages whilst completing the coursework element of the Creative iMedia qualification. There is an interesting and varied mix of units to be studied which include: creating 2D and 3D digital characters, storytelling with a comic strip, creating a multipage website, creating digital animation, digital photography and digital sound sequences among others.

The aim of these units is to provide students with the practical creative skills required to work in a creative industry whilst understanding the importance or planning, designing and evaluating the individual products created.

Assessment – Cambridge National Creative iMedia

The course is made up of 75% coursework and 25% written examination. One of the four units will be assessed through a 1 hour 15 minute written examination. The remaining 75% will be completed through coursework portfolios and will be marked internally and moderated externally.

Meet the Team

Mr R Schofield

Head of Computing and Business

Mr R Whitehead

Head of Computing

Miss V Bradford

Teacher of Business and Computing